Fireball: how to behave? How to protect yourself from ball lightning
One of the most amazing and dangerous phenomena of nature is ball lightning. How to behave and what to do when meeting with her, you will learn from this article.
What is ball lightning
Surprisingly, modern science finds it difficult to answer this question. Unfortunately, no one has yet been able to analyze this natural phenomenon with the help of precision scientific instruments. All attempts by scientists to recreate it in the laboratory also failed. Despite many historical data and eyewitness accounts, some researchers deny the very existence of this phenomenon.
Those who are lucky enough to stay alive after meeting with an electric ball, give conflicting testimony. They claim that they saw a sphere from 10 to 20 cm in diameter, but they describe it in different ways. According to one version, ball lightning is almost transparent, even the contours of surrounding objects are guessed through it.On the other, its color varies from white to red. Someone says that he felt the heat emanating from the lightning. Others did not notice any heat from her, even being in close proximity.
Chinese scientists were lucky to fix the ball lightning with spectrometers. Although this instant lasted a second and a half, the researchers were able to conclude that it differs from ordinary lightning.
Where does fireball appear
How to behave when meeting with her, because the fireball can appear anywhere. The circumstances of its formation are very different and it is difficult to find a definite pattern. Most people think that lightning can only be found during or after a thunderstorm. However, there is plenty of evidence that it appeared in dry cloudless weather. It is also impossible to predict a place where an electric ball can form. There were cases when it arose from a network of tension, a tree trunk, and even from a wall of a residential building. Eyewitnesses saw how lightning appeared by itself, met her in the open and inside the room. Also in the literature there are cases when after a normal strike there was a ball lightning.
How to behave
If you are “lucky enough” to meet with a fireball in an open area, you must adhere to the basic rules of behavior in this extreme situation.
- Try to slowly move away from a dangerous place for a considerable distance. Do not turn your back on the zipper or try to run away from it.
- If it is close and moves toward you, stand still, stretch your arms forward and hold your breath. After a few seconds or minutes, the ball will bypass you and disappear.
- In no case do not throw any objects at him, because when you collide with something, the lightning explodes.
Fireball: how to escape if she appeared in the house?
This plot is most terrible, as an unprepared person can panic and make a fatal mistake. Remember that the electrical sphere reacts to any movement of air. Therefore, the most universal advice is to recommend keeping still and calm. What else can be done if ball lightning has flown into the apartment?
- What if she was near your face? Blow on the ball and it will fly off to the side.
- Do not touch iron objects.
- Freeze, do not make sudden movements and do not try to flee.
- If nearby is the entrance to the next room, then try to hide in it.But do not turn your back on the zipper and try to move as slowly as possible.
- Do not try to drive it away with any object, otherwise you risk provoking a strong explosion. In this case, you will face such serious consequences as cardiac arrest, burns, trauma and loss of consciousness.
How to help the victim
Remember that lightning can cause a very serious injury or take a whole life. If you see that a person is injured by her blow, then immediately take action - transfer him to another place and do not be afraid, since there will no longer be a charge in his body. Put it on the floor, wrap it up and call an ambulance. In case of cardiac arrest, give him artificial respiration before the arrival of the doctors. If a person does not suffer much, put a wet towel on his head, give two tablets of dipyrone and soothing drops.
How to save yourself
How to protect yourself from ball lightning? First of all, you need to take action that will protect you during a normal thunderstorm. Remember that in most cases, people suffer from electric shock while being outdoors or in the countryside.
- How to escape from ball lightning in the forest? Do not hide under the lonely trees.Try to find a low grove or undergrowth. Remember that lightning rarely hits in conifers and birch.
- Do not hold metal objects above your head (forks, shovels, shotguns, fishing rods and umbrellas).
- Do not hide in a haystack and do not lie down on the ground - it’s better to squat down.
- If a thunderstorm caught you in the car, stop and do not touch metal objects. Do not forget to lower the antenna and drive off from high trees. Stop at the curb and don’t drive into the gas station.
- Remember that quite often thunderstorms go against the wind. Ball lightning moves in the same way.
- How to behave in the house and whether to worry if you are under the roof? Unfortunately, the lightning rod and other devices are not able to help you.
- If you are in the steppe, then squat down on your haunches, try not to rise above the surrounding objects. You can hide in a ditch, but leave it as soon as it begins to fill with water.
- If you are sailing in a boat, then by no means get up. Try to reach the shore as quickly as possible and move away from the water to a safe distance.
- Remove jewelry and set aside.
- Turn off the mobile phone.If it works, then ball lightning can attract the signal.
- How to escape from the storm, if you are in the country? Close the windows and chimney. It is not yet known whether glass is an obstacle to lightning. However, it has been observed that it easily seeps into any slots, sockets or electrical appliances.
- If you are at home, then close the windows and turn off electrical appliances, do not touch anything metallic. Try to stay away from power outlets. Do not call and disconnect all external antennas.