Clay pot: types, purpose, features, advantages and disadvantages of products
Cookware made of clay for many centuries used throughout the world. These products were among the first created by man. Objects made of clay can be considered a part of the ancient world, which fits perfectly into the modern lifestyle.
Little about clay
Clay is the main component of any ceramic pot. Before turning into a product, the material is very soft and ductile. After drying, the clay becomes hard but fragile. To give the product strength, it should be burned in a furnace with high temperatures. It depends on the type of firing, for what purposes the manufactured item will be used. At temperatures from 1100 ° C, the clay becomes waterproof. If this figure is lower - no more than 950 ° C, the product remains porous, and it is easy to break.Such objects should not be left in the cold, because the material may crack if water freezes. Clay pot, which is additionally doused with glaze, has slightly different properties. If the product is brown or red, it most likely has not been processed.
How to choose a ceramic pot?
Clay pot can be found in a shop called terracotta and ceramic. Due to the variety of production technologies, the buyer can find this item to his liking. The choice depends on the future destination of the product.
Untreated clay flower pots have certain advantages. For example, due to the porosity of the material, the excess moisture after watering the plant in such a product evaporates. In addition, the plant itself has the possibility of oxygen saturation.
If the cost of a clay pot is too low, it may be made from gypsum. To check what material the product is made from, you should knock on it. A deaf sound will emanate from the object, from a clay one more ringing.
Terracotta and glazed pots look more attractive than ordinary clay ones.When decorating a product, the manufacturer gives it an antique or modern look. The advantage of such things is a variety of designs, thanks to which you can easily choose a pot that matches the interior. The disadvantage of glaze is that the products made from such a material do not allow air. Heavy clay pots for flowers will be more resistant, which will allow them to be used for planting large flowers and plants that have a massive root system.
Shape and size
When choosing the size and shape of the pot, its further purpose should be considered:
- Pots with a narrowed neck are uncomfortable for planting and transplanting plants, although they are very beautiful from an aesthetic point of view.
- Small pots should not be purchased for the purpose of further transplanting plants into a larger one. It is recommended to choose the size of the clay product for an adult flower.
- Do not purchase clay pots for hanging down plants. Such products are more suitable for flowers, the installation of which is planned on a solid, stable surface.
- A good option would be to plant a young plant in a plastic pot that can be placed in a clay pot, but larger.After the flower grows, it is transplanted into a large clay pot without damaging the roots and additional difficulties.
Disadvantages of clay products
Compared to plastic, clay pots have some disadvantages:
- Fragility. If you drop a pot of such material, the parts will break away from it or it will break completely.
- High cost compared to plastic items. If you need to buy a lot of products more profitable to give preference to plastic pots.
- Difficulty in transplanting plants. Products made of clay have irregularities on the inner surface, to which the roots of some plants stick. In addition, at the time of removing the flower from the pot will not be able to squeeze the walls of the object.
- Salt deposits after watering with water. This disadvantage is especially noticeable on products of red and brown color. To avoid such a problem, it is recommended to buy pots of light colors.
History of cooking pots
Pots that are used in ovens, according to archaeologists, began their existence in the primitive era. These products were among the first to give a new flavor to products.Clay dishes allowed our ancestors not only to prepare food, but also to store it.
For many millennia, pots are fully consistent with the needs of man. They were used in the oven for cooking soups, kvass, mead and cabbage soup. For dishes that do not require strong heating. Over time, such dishes began to be used for cooking cereals, mushrooms and meat. The tradition of baking dishes in clay pots became irrelevant after the disappearance of the stone oven.
Modern technology has somewhat changed the attitude of people to cooking. With the advent of new kitchen utensils, pots turned into household items of past eras. But It is worth noting that this attitude was preserved for a short time. The special taste, benefits and simplicity of cooking various dishes in ceramic containers made residents of megalopolises recall the clay pots. Currently, these inexpensive and easy-to-use products can again be found in kitchens.
The use of clay pots for cooking in the oven
Each hostess dreams of having clay in her arsenal, because cooking in the oven is always associated with health and goodness.Dishes prepared by roasting in products made from such a material have an absolutely unique taste.
Advantages of clay dishes:
- Good heat treatment.
- Lack of fat.
- A special aroma due to the languishing products in its own juice.
- Natural taste.
- Lack of extraneous odors.
- Lack of toxic substances.
- Clayware warms evenly. Due to this, the dish remains warm for a long time.
- Sophisticated and original look.
- Allows you to cook a variety of options of dishes, from the simplest to the finest. Good to know: the taste of porridge, vegetables and meat will improve significantly if, after cooking, leave the dish for 20 minutes with the lid closed.
Tips for choosing a clay pot for baking:
- Proper selection of size for cooking. Models with a narrow neck inhibit evaporation of liquid, which preserves the juiciness of the dish.
- Cover dishes should be evenly glazed.
- All walls should be the same in thickness.
- On the product should not be scratches and cracks.