How to choose a babysitter for babies: useful tips and special requirements
The newborn born into the world takes away all free time from the newly-made parent. It's one thing if mommy needs to leave for an hour or two - then the baby can be left with the grandmother.
What to do if a woman needs to go to the workplace very soon? In this case, the ideal solution to the problem may be a nanny for a newborn.
However, finding a reliable and experienced assistant with whom you can safely leave your treasure is not so easy.
Where to find a babysitter for a baby?
It is best to start the search for some time before birth, if you know for sure that the baby will need a nurse. If the question of a housekeeper has arisen unexpectedly, you do not need to rush to the first woman you like, but seriously approach the selection of candidates. And here are four options.
Method number 1. Search through the agency
The home office recruitment office is growing year by year.According to statistics, this is probably the most common at the moment method of finding a nanny. And the reason for this are several important factors:
- time and nerves of the customer are saved, since not all parents can carry out the “casting” of nurses around the clock;
- the employer can specify in advance all the requirements for candidates for a vacant position, including not quite standard ones;
- the risk that an unreliable person will be admitted to the newborn is reduced, since the vast majority of agencies prefer to work with trusted people, taking care of their own reputation.
Therefore, many parents resort to their servants only when they have a shortage of time for an independent selection of candidates.
Method number 2. The choice of ad
If someone of the spouses has free time, you can find a nanny through ads in the print press or on the Internet. Moreover, the network has a huge selection of thematic sites.
Be sure that after a couple of days your phone will be broken by the calls of female applicants.
However, the desire to save on the services of the agency can play a cruel joke, because both experienced nannies and ordinary charlatans will contact you. And you will personally have to sift out unwanted candidates.
Method number 3. Recommendation
Perhaps this method can be considered the most reliable and effective, since word of mouth and rumors are not inferior to specialized agencies.
Ask around with your friends, friends, relatives, perhaps they have recently used the services of an experienced nanny, or they have a woman in mind who does not even have a specialized education, but sincerely loves children and gets along well with them.
Method number 4. Your neighbor
Wanting to choose the best nurse for a baby, many parents do not notice that a woman lives next to them, formerly working as a nursery teacher or growing from the cradle of more than one newborn. The advantages of this choice is the fact that:
- you are well aware of this potential carer - her character, responsibility, cleanliness, attitude to the kids;
- a woman will not need to spend extra time and money on the road, besides, she will be free to run to her home at any time and come back.
What should you look at?
Nanny for a newborn - almost the second mommy, so the most important principle that you need to be guided by - your intuition. Sometimes spouses for weeks trying to find the best candidate, for a long time studying the resume, looking at the recommendations, and sometimes quite a quick look at the woman and the thought arises - this is it!
However, mutual sympathy and a sense of community of interests are not all important points to dwell on. You need to consider also such essential aspects as:
- age - an experienced nanny is usually not younger than 35 years old, because she has already managed to “nurse” her baby and several other babies, but not older than 55 years, because in such years it is already quite troublesome to follow the newborn (of course, everything is individual);
- education and qualifications - since a nurse is needed for a newborn baby, it is extremely important that she has both medical and pedagogical qualifications, and physicians are in priority, since it’s not yet necessary to talk about the education of the baby (unless you want to develop an infant using the Glen Doman system) );
- Stress resistance and strong nerves are an important psychological quality for the nanny, since the baby will surely start to be naughty (especially not having discovered a mommy nearby),That is why the assistant is obliged to restrain herself, not to shout at the child and parents;
- health - be sure to ask for a health certificate of potential candidates, because a woman who works so closely with a child can infect him with any serious diseases, thereby endangering child life;
- recommendations - qualified assistants have letters of recommendation (the exception is neighbors or non-professional nurses found through friends), thanks to which you can call former employers and clarify your concerns.
In addition to professionalism, the candidate must be benevolent, responsible, restrained, responsive. Mothers who want to find the best nanny are advised by experts to pay attention to such important details as:
- appearance and style of dress;
- features of communication (of course, obscene speech is excluded);
- no bad habits.
What else needs to be done?
Suppose you were able to choose the best nanny for your baby, what steps should be taken next? It is important to introduce a woman in the course of business, to acquaint her with the responsibilities and, most importantly, to present her to your beloved baby.
List of responsibilities
A nanny can perform a variety of responsibilities, so it is extremely important to discuss all sorts of details in a telephone conversation even before personal acquaintance. An approximate list of responsibilities might look like this:
- feeding the baby (and preparing the mixture);
- hygiene procedures;
- regular walks;
- massage (if the nurse has a special education or skill).
Some moms, wanting to unload their own schedule, for some sums offer additional duties to their assistant. But do not load a woman with additional loads, let her focus on the “culprit” himself.
Familiarity with the environment
Having introduced the nurse to the newborn, it is important to bring her up to date, having a “tour” about the apartment.
In order for a woman to be able to more quickly meet the needs of an infant, she must be well versed in the home environment:
- show where children's clothes, hygiene products, medicines are stored;
- explain the rules for the use of household items;
- make a list of all necessary contacts;
- tell who has access to the apartment;
- Imagine a nanny to your neighbors and familiar moms.
Having established a trusting relationship with a nanny, do not hesitate to control her every step and the peculiarities of communication with your beloved toddler:
- returning home, watch the crumbs, evaluate its appearance and well-being;
- ask yourself how the baby behaved and if there were any problems;
- ask your neighbors or familiar mommies how a nanny interacts with a ward;
- call the nurse more often to ask about how the toddler behaves.
The nanny for the baby temporarily turns into a mother, so it is important that between them there are really warm feelings. Of course, she cannot replace the real mummy, that is, you, but it is necessary to take care of the maximum comfort and safety of her offspring.