How to split a disk on Windows 8?
Watch the video
Keep all the eggs in one basket, as you know,not the best solution. This phrase is relevant not only for the financial sector, but also, for example, for your computer. When buying a new computer / laptop, we sometimes find that the Windows hard disk is represented by only one volume, which, firstly, is inconvenient, and secondly, it is unsafe. Whether to do three volumes - one to store user content (photos, movies, music, etc.), on the second - any programs and on the third - the files of the system. In this case, if you need to reinstall it, other data will not be affected. About how to split a hard drive into Windows 8 without the help of additional software, let's talk in this article.
Partitioning a disc
- Go to the "Toolbar", select the section"Administration", then in the opened folder we click the "Computer Management" section, in the new window we select "Disk Management". A short way! Press the "Windows + R" key combination and enter "diskmgmt.msc" in the search bar.
- We click on the hard disk icon, which we wish to divide, right-click and in the drop-down menu we select the item "Compress volume".
- Now you can choose the size of the new logicaldisk. Note: if you already have some data on your computer, not all of the hard disk volume will be available to set this parameter. You will see the option "Available space for compression" and "Compressed space size". These parameters must be equal.
- In the next step, select the letter that the disk will be labeled.
- Now we have an unplaced area. It is highlighted in black. Click on it with the right mouse button and select "Create a simple volume ...".
- In the next window, duplicate the size of the volume, then assign the drive letter to which it will be designated.
- In the Format Partition window, select NTFS.
- We wait until the system finishes formatting. All! It is done!
Important! Sometimes an antivirus can interfere with the partitioning of the hard disk, in which case it will have to be disabled for the duration of the operation, and if this does not help, and completely remove it.
Well, the instructions, as you can see, are very simple. Surely, you can do it! Good luck!