Human leukocyte interferon: indications, instructions for use
In this article we will talk about one of the effective antiviral and immunostimulating drugs. It will be a question of a human leukocytic interferon. Let us examine the properties of the drug, indications for its purpose, instructions for use and so on.
Characteristics of the drug
Leukocyte human interferon (international name - interferon alpha) is available in two forms - a solution for inhalation and intranasal use and dry lyophilized powder (sometimes compressed into tablets). The liquid form has a color from colorless to light pink, dry - from white to pinkish.
Interferon leukocytic human (Interferon leukocytic human) is a complex of proteins that are synthesized by leukocytes of donor blood under the influence of the interferon inducer virus. They are cleaned by the ultra-and microfiltration method.
Analogs of this immunomodulating drug:
- "Nazoferon" and others.
The tool can be used in combination with other drugs. The drug is dispensed without a doctor's prescription, valid for 2 years from the date of manufacture. Keep it in a dark, cool (2-8 degrees above zero) place. Keep out of the reach of children!
Average prices for human leukocyte interferon are relatively low. So, in most pharmacies a pack with 10 ampoules of the drug will cost 80-120 rubles.
The composition of the drug
1 ml of liquid human leukocyte interferon contains:
- Interferon Alfa - 1000 IU.
- Sodium chloride - 0.09 mg.
- Sodium dihydrogen phosphate dihydrate - 0.06 mg.
- Sodium hydrogen phosphate dodecahydrate - 0.003 mg.
- Distilled water for injection is about 1 ml.
This immunomodulating drug belongs to the pharmacological group of cytokines. Its properties are as follows:
- Immunostimulation - makes the immune response stronger.
- Immunomodulation - normalizes the immune status.
- Antibacterial effects - the fight against different types of mixed infections.
- Antiviral effect - helps the body to resist diseases such as herpes, influenza, adenoviral diseases.
- Anti-inflammatory, antitumor effect.
Dry and liquid product is not toxic, sterile, harmless when administered through the respiratory tract. Do not use powder for injection.
Indications for use
Human leukocyte interferon is used both for the prevention of acute viral infections, and for the treatment of early forms of disease with the initial symptoms.
The indications can be divided into three main groups:
- Intranasal use: preventive measures and treatment of acute respiratory viral infections, influenza.
- Parenteral use: genital warts, hepatitis B and C, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, malignant melanoma, multiple myeloma, renal carcinoma, Kaposi's sarcoma in people suffering from AIDS (not suffering from acute infections at this time), hairy cell leukemia, fungal mycosis.
- Rectal use: Therapy of chronic and acute viral hepatitis.
Also, the drug will be effective in:
- chronic myeloid leukemia;
- primary and secondary thrombocytosis;
- the transitional stage of chronic granulocytic leukemia, myelofibrosis;
- multiple sclerosis.
Instructions for use of human leukocyte interferon indicate the following contraindications to the use of the drug:
- Violation of the functions of the central nervous system.
- Impaired function of the kidneys and liver, hematopoietic system.
- Organic heart disease.
- Chronic hepatitis in persons whose recent treatment consisted of immunosuppressants.
- Diseases of the thyroid gland.
- Chronic hepatitis.
- Cirrhosis of the liver with signs of liver failure.
- Pregnancy and lactation.
- Increased individual sensitivity to the active component - interferon alpha, as well as to all drugs of protein origin, to chicken meat and eggs.
The drug is dangerous to take in the following cases:
- Expired shelf life.
- The integrity of the packaging has been compromised.
- There are no markings on the packaging.
Dosage and administration
Instructions for use of human leukocyte interferon prescribes:
- For children under 3 years of age, administer the drug only intranasally (spraying, instillation).
- Children from 3 years of age, inhalation is additionally allowed for adults.
Intranasal application. A vial of medication opens immediately before use.Then chilled boiled or sterile distilled water is added to it strictly up to the stroke of 2 ml per capsule. The product is gently shaken until completely dissolved.
The drug is instilled into the nose with a syringe without a needle or a medical pipette. Another method is spraying: you can use either a third-party sprayer or the one that comes with the product. The nozzle is put on the syringe without a needle, then brought close to the nasal passage, or going into it about 0.5 cm. Spraying occurs by pressing the syringe piston. The patient has to sit with his head up.
- Prevention: applies throughout the risk of infection. Instill - 5 drops, spray - 0.25 ml in each nasal passage. Per day manipulation is carried out up to 2 times with an interval of at least 6 hours.
- Treatment: at the first signs of the disease. 5 drops or 0.25 mg in each nostril. The procedure is repeated up to 5 times a day with an interval of 1-2 hours.
Human leukocyte interferon is administered to children and adults in the same dose.
Inhalation. Inhalation use is considered more effective. For it, you need to purchase an inhaler from any manufacturer.For one procedure requires the contents of three capsules, which should be dissolved in 10 ml of water, heated to 37 degrees. In this way, the drug is administered through the mouth and nose twice a day for 2-3 days.
Injection is prohibited!
When using this immunomodulating drug, the following side effects are possible:
- On the part of the gastrointestinal tract: a change in taste, dry mouth, flatulence, constipation, vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, loss of appetite. In rare cases - a violation of the liver.
- From the side of the central nervous system: ataxia, drowsiness or sleep disturbance, impaired consciousness, depression, nervousness.
- From the side of the heart and vessels: arrhythmia, arterial hypotension.
- Dermatological effects: skin rash, slight alopecia, erythema, dry skin.
- Flu-like syndrome: weakness, fever, myalgia, headache.
- Others: granulocytopenia, feeling of weakness, lethargy, loss of body weight, visual disturbance, dizziness.
Be careful to apply the tool when:
- Recently suffered myocardial infarction.
- Myelodepression, changing blood clotting.
- Elderly patients who were diagnosed with side effects of the central nervous system when using high doses of the drug. It may even be worth interrupting treatment.
- Patients with hepatitis C before treatment should be tested for the level of TSH in the blood. Only with normal indicators can interferon therapy be started. In other cases, possible violation of thyroid function.
- Combined with opioid analgesics, hypnotics, sedatives.
Leukocyte human interferon is an effective immunostimulating anti-infective agent. It has a number of features of use and contraindications, so before using it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the instructions.