Lemon Jam: Home Cooking Recipe
Even children know about the taste that a lemon has and that it helps to cope with flu and cold faster. Meanwhile, this bright yellow fruit can be not only sour, but also sweet, if you make jam based on it. It has a beautiful, sunny color, pleasant taste and is able to bring great benefits to the body. In our article we present the recipes for lemon jam. But first, let's talk about the properties of this citrus fruit.
The benefits and harm of lemons
Homeland citrus is India, namely the area at the foot of the Himalayas, as well as Southeast Asia. Favorable warm and humid climate contribute to the fact that lemons bloom and bear fruit 2-3 times a year. From India, this plant has spread to European territory, and today it can be seen even on home balconies.
The composition of lemons can be called unique. Yellow fruits contain a huge amount of vitamin C, A, B1, B2, D and P, as well as pectin, bioflavonoids, organic acids, essential oils.In the seeds of the plant is a fatty oil and a bitter substance limonin. The high content of essential (lemon) oil explains the pleasant and simultaneously sharp aroma of zest. The caloric value of 100 grams of fruit is only 16 kcal.
What is the benefit and harm of lemons for the body? It should be noted a few of the most important points:
- Fruits have a pronounced antiseptic effect. Lemon juice is recommended to use for the prevention of atherosclerosis, urolithiasis, metabolic disorders, hemorrhoids. You can add it to tea or salad dressing.
- Lemon juice will be useful in inflammatory diseases of the oral cavity and pharynx. It is enough to ensure regular rinsing with a solution prepared from 120 ml of water and juice of half a lemon.
- Yellow citrus fruit stimulates appetite, improves digestion, helps reduce blood cholesterol levels.
- Lemon peel often helps with a beginning sore throat. Essential oils and citric acid contained in the peel also have a beneficial effect on the inflamed mucous membranes of the throat.
- Lemons are used in avitaminosis, viral and infectious diseases, salt deposits and rheumatism.
- Lemon peel copes with headaches.
This citrus fruit is recommended to be used for heart disease and to be included in your diet for pregnant women.
How to make jam from lemons?
The recipe below has Portuguese roots. A similar delicacy can also be cooked from lime or orange. The same recipe uses only lemon with sugar and some water. From 10 ripe fruits with a total weight of 1.5 kg, approximately 3 liters of very tasty jelly is obtained.
Lemon jam at home is prepared in the following sequence:
- With a small sharp knife, the yellow skin is cut from the lemons and cut into thin strips.
- Peeled fruits are cut in half.
- Using a juice extractor or manually squeezing juice from them.
- Peel and lemon juice are placed in a saucepan and filled with water (2 l).
- In folded in 2 layers of gauze or nylon bag folded white skin and bones. The bag is drawn in and lowered into a saucepan with water and juice.
- The contents of the pan are brought to a boil and, without covering the lid, the compote is cooked for 1-3 hours. During this time, the amount of water should be reduced by 2 times.
- Pull out the bag, let it cool slightly, and carefully press it over the pan. Now you can safely throw it away.
- Add sugar (2 kg) to the pan with lemon juice and continue cooking the jam for 20 minutes over medium heat.
- The contents of the pan spread on sterilized jars. Hot jam will be liquid, and after cooling it will become thick. Store jars recommended in the refrigerator.
Tasty lemon delicacy in the slow cooker
The main advantage of this method of preparation is that you can not worry about the possible burning of the jam to the bottom of the pan. In general, the jelly-like dessert turns out to be equally tasty, but the hassle with it is much less.
Step by step jam from the lemons in the slow cooker is prepared in a specific sequence:
- Ripe fruits (6 pcs.) Wash thoroughly, put in a bowl and pour boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Cut the lemons with the skin into thin slices, while removing the bones.
- Transfer the slices to the multicooker bowl, add water (1.2 ml).
- Turn on the "Multipovar" program and select a cooking time of 160 °. As soon as the water in the bowl boils, the temperature should be reduced to 130 ° and continue to cook the lemons for another 50 minutes.
- Pour sugar into the bowl (1.2 kg). Continue cooking the jam for another 1 hour at the same temperature.
- Treats spread on sterilized jars, roll canned key and wrap a blanket. Leave jars warm until cool.
Lemon Ginger Jam
Eating such jelly is a great way to maintain your immunity. In the recipe for lemon jam with ginger, cinnamon is indicated as one of the ingredients. Meanwhile, if desired, this spice can not be added.
Step by step jam jam with ginger is prepared in the following sequence:
- Ripe citrus fruits (1 kg) are peeled and cut into slices. The white part of the lemon should try to cut.
- Ginger (50 g) is cut into small cubes.
- Add lemon slices and ginger to the pan, cover with sugar. Optionally add ground cinnamon and vanilla. Leave the lemons in a saucepan for 1 hour, so that they let the juice.
- Turn on the stove. Put the pan on a medium heat, bring the lemons with the juice and sugar to a boil. Cook jam no more than 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat and cool.
- Repeat the procedure twice more. Due to slow cooking and complete cooling, the jam will become amber in color and will become thick. It is recommended to store it in a glass jar in the refrigerator.
Lemon jam without cooking
In order to preserve a maximum of vitamins and beneficial substances contained in citrus fruits, they are not recommended to be subjected to heat treatment. Therefore, in the following recipe, the jam will be prepared without cooking. For this delicacy you need only two ingredients: lemon with sugar.
To make jam, 500 g of lemons should be thoroughly washed and folded in a bowl. Then citrus for 1 minute filled with boiling water. This will get rid of wax on the surface of the fruit. After that, each lemon is cut into several pieces and twisted in a meat grinder.
Sugar is added to the resulting mass (1 kg). Sweet lemon mix is mixed and laid out on the banks. This jam is stored in the refrigerator for about two weeks. To increase the shelf life, the lemon mass will need to be boiled with sugar for a few minutes.
English lemon jam for breakfast
A sandwich with such a jelly-like dessert will provide useful vitamins and give you a good mood for the whole day. The recipe for lemon jam for breakfast is as follows:
- Citrus fruits (2 pcs.) Wash thoroughly, pour over boiling water and cut into several pieces.
- Fold the lemons in a blender, add a glass of sugar and a raw egg. Grind ingredients until smooth.
- Add 100 g of soft butter to the lemon mass. Put the jam in a saucepan and put it on fire for a couple of minutes to melt the butter. Cool the lemon mass, put it in a glass jar, and in the morning you can serve it for breakfast.
Lemon Gelatin Jam
Such a delicacy in texture resembles jelly. It turns out very tasty and fragrant. The lemon jam recipe consists of several steps:
- From ripe citrus fruits (4-5 pieces) with the help of a grater the peel is removed.
- Lemons are cut and divided into slices. If possible, remove all of the bitter film from them and cut into small pieces.
- Put the zest and flesh into the pan, cover it with sugar (300 g).
- Cook lemon mass on low heat for 30 minutes.
- At this time, soak a pack of gelatin (8 g) in 100 ml of cold water.
- Swollen gelatin pour in lemon jam. Heat the mass for one minute and transfer to the jar.
Dessert from Lemons with Nutmeg
At home, you can prepare an excellent remedy for colds and flu prevention.Lemon jam, according to the recipe proposed below, is practically uncooked, which means that the vitamins in it are practically not destroyed. In addition, it is excellent as a filling for any baked goods, pancakes and pancakes.
Preparing the jam is very simple if you follow a certain procedure:
- Lemons (2 pcs.) Are cut into small pieces so that you can easily remove all the bones from them.
- Grind the fruit in a meat grinder.
- Fill the resulting mass with sugar (400 g) and leave it in this form for a day so that the lemons let the juice in.
- Put the pan on the stove, add a pinch of nutmeg.
- Bring the lemon mixture to a boil and immediately remove from heat.
- Now confiture can be poured into cans.
The following tips will help you make delicious and healthy lemon jam:
- The longer the heat treatment time of the delicacy, the longer it can be stored, but the less vitamins it contains.
- For jam, it is recommended to take ripe lemons, in which there is a lot of juice and little bitterness. Compared with immature fruits, they weigh a little more.
- Before you chop lemons in a meat grinder, you must extract the bones from them.Otherwise, there will be an unpleasant bitterness in the finished jam.
- The taste of jelly will be more piquant if you add cinnamon or nutmeg.
We hope that the article was useful for you.