Tajikistan. Cities of the republic and their list
On the territory of modern Tajikistanstate formations appeared in the first millennium BC. Archaeologists also know about earlier settlements in this region. Thus, we can talk about the existence of ancient urban culture in Tajikistan.
Tajikistan. Cities and Trade Centers
The oldest existing in Tajikistancities - Khujand. It arose at the crossroads of trade routes leading from east to west. The Syr Darya River, on the bank of which the city stands, provides residents with enough water, which even allows them to cultivate orchards on the slopes of nearby mountains.
Khujand is Tajikistan's second largest city, while Dushanbe ranks first in population.
A really intense urbanization herebegan with the establishment in the republic of the power of the USSR. Then the peasants from the villages began actively moving to cities to participate in major construction projects.
With the growth of the population and the creation of new enterprisesin the cities, an active flourishing of culture began. People's houses, theaters and museums were built. Much attention was paid to the historical features of the territories, the traditions of the population.
After the collapse of the Soviet Union, the citiesreturn their historical names, which they bore for centuries. Along with this, the process of renaming streets and translating many toponyms into the Tajik language was actively under way.
At the same time, China is beginning to invest in Tajikistan. The cities continue to develop - new residential complexes, schools, universities and airports are being built.
Tajikistan: list of cities by alphabet
- Buston, whose population is 32 thousand people;
- Vakhdat is a city of republican subordination with a population of 42 thousand people;
- Hissar - despite its antiquity, the status of the city was received only in 2016;
- Dushanbe is the capital and the largest city of the republic, whose population, according to official estimates, is 802 thousand people;
- Istaravshan is an ancient city, the history of which is more than two and a half thousand years;
- Istiklol is a small town of regional subordination in Sughd region, population of about 15 thousand people;
- Kanibadam is a city of regional subordination with a population of 50 thousand inhabitants;
- Kulyab is the fourth largest city in the republic;
- Kurgan-Tube - the center of Khatlon region;
The cities listed above are the largest population centers of the state. In this case, four of them deserve a separate story.
First of all, it is worth mentioning the capital -Dushanbe. The city is a major political, economic and cultural center of the whole country. The main educational and cultural institutions are concentrated there.
Khujand is the second largest in the republicTajikistan. The cities of the north-east of the country, as a rule, have strong ties with the surrounding villages, and this has a significant impact on their economies. For example, in Khujand there are widespread markets with local products, which are produced in abundance in the Fergana Valley.
At the opposite end of the country, in the hearta rich oasis, is the third largest city in the country - Kurgan-Tube, the feature of which is that until 1924 its population was exclusively Uzbeks.
In the fourth large city, Kulyab, is the mausoleum of the famous Persian poet and religious figure - Mir Said Hamadani.