Why do feet and hands sweat? Why do baby's hands sweat?
There are many unpleasant situations that can cause discomfort not only for the patient, but also for his environment. In this article I want to reveal the main reasons and tell why the feet and hands of children and adults sweat.
At the very beginning, it must be said that it is on the palms that there is a huge amount of sweat glands. This is necessary in order for the body to have normal thermoregulation. And if palms are sweating during strenuous exercise or high ambient temperatures, this is normal. In this case, the protective reaction of the body is activated, which cools the internal organs. But if sweating occurs for no apparent reason, then the doctor should be asked for help, or rather, a dermatologist, an endocrinologist, or just a therapist (he will redirect to the right specialist).
We understand further why feet and hands are sweating.So, it is worth saying that in medical institutions to determine the level of hyperhidrosis, a sample of Minor is used. What is it? This is a completely painless procedure. The patient will first apply iodine to the skin, then - starch powder. And already by the size of the formed purple spot they can say about the degree of hyperhidrosis:
- Moderate hyperhidrosis: stain no more than 10 cm.
- Its heavy form: a spot more than 20 cm.
Reason 1. Food
The first reason why people of different ages sweat hands is eating too spicy food. In this case, excessive sweating is just a protective reaction of the body.
Reason 2. Heredity
If someone in the family has hyperhidrosis of the arms or legs, the next generation can also have this problem. So, for example, the cause may be an increased amount of sweat glands on the palms or intolerance to synthetic materials (if we talk about sweating of the legs).
Reason 3. Diseases
The next reason why hands sweat is a different kind of disease that is accompanied by fever. In this case, most often we are talking about the following diseases:
- Severe viral diseases such as HIV infection, tuberculosis.
It should also be said that with these diseases the palms of a person can perspire even at night, when the body is relaxed and in a state of rest.
Reason 4. Endocrine system
Another reason why hands sweat is the malfunctioning of the human endocrine system. Most often this may be due to increased thyroid function, during menopause in women, as well as in adrenal gland disease.
Reason 5. Psychological
Sweat hands and feet may due to various disorders in the nervous system. So, even the simplest stressful situations can cause these symptoms. Also, the cause of this symptom may be neurological disorders resulting from stroke, neurosyphilis, multiple sclerosis.
Separately, you need to consider why sweat the hands of a child. There may be several reasons for this condition:
- If we talk about infants, then this symptom can cause a deficiency of vitamin D (rickets). If we are talking about a newborn who does not have a month yet, then such a baby should have her hands sweaty.This is because the thermoregulation of such a crumb is only tuned to the influence of the environment. If the cause is precisely rickets, then the baby will also have a lack of calcium in the blood, and the muscle tone of the abdominal wall will be reduced.
- Another reason why a child’s hands sweat is helminthic invasions. Or, more simply, the most common worms.
Some parents are wondering why teenagers sweat their hands. So, in older children, the occurrence of this symptom may be due to the above reasons. However, it is precisely for adolescents that problems that cause sweating of the palms and feet are characteristic:
- Stress. Teenagers are more likely to be in stressful situations. However, by this time they are still not very well able to cope, for example, with anxiety, which may cause a similar symptom.
- Very often, vegetative dystonia is the cause of sweating palms in adolescents (it is the vegetative nervous system that regulates sweating).
What can be said separately about the feet. So, they can sweat due to the above reasons (after all, sweating of hands and feet is often a complex phenomenon). However, in this case, similar symptoms may occur for the following reasons:
- Wrong selection of shoes (when shoes are too small).
- Wearing shoes or socks made of synthetic materials.
- Non-compliance with hygiene when caring for the legs and feet.
- Fungal diseases of the legs.
What to do?
Having figured out why hands, palms, feet, and feet are sweating, it is also necessary to say how one can cope with this scourge. There are several ways to deal with this problem:
- The use of antiperspirants (based on formalin and talc).
- Iontophoresis. This procedure is excellent for sweat glands. In this case, the patient will need to put his hands in the bath, where the treatment solution will be poured and the electrodes connected.
- Botox. With the introduction of this element under the skin, you can freeze the work of the sweat glands. However, this method is not widely spread due to the high cost of the drug.
- Surgical intervention. You can also cope with the problem if you remove the node of the vegetative system. However, this radical method is applied as a last resort (if other methods do not help).
Having understood why hands and feet are sweating, it is also worth saying that it is possible to cope with the problem with the help of traditional medicine.
- Ammonia.It needs to be dissolved in water (1: 1) and wiped with palm and foot with this medicine.
- Table vinegar. You can also keep your palms and feet in a solution of vinegar for a few minutes a day (half a glass of the ingredient must be diluted in 1 liter of water).
- Oak bark decoction. To prepare it, you need to take three tablespoons of oak bark, pour a liter of boiling water. Infused medication for about half an hour. After that, you need to lower the feet and palms for about 7-9 minutes. You need to repeat the procedure several times a day.